Monday 2 February 2015

The Light on Spoilers, Heavy on Squee Preview of Supernatural 10x12 "About A Boy"



Woohoo! Time for another preview, which means it's nearly new Supernatural day! My favourite day of all! So let's see...what magic can we expect this week?


THEN




NOW



When I first heard about this episode I was all...hmmmm I wonder if Dean will be young Dean inside and out, or if 36 year old Dean will be inside 14 year old Dean's body...which is what I was hoping for...AND I THINK THAT'S WHAT WE'RE GOING TO GET!


I've never made a secret of the fact that I was crazy about "Bad Boys". I pretty much wrote a freakin' love letter to it! Young Dylan Everett, who played the then 14 year old Dean Winchester, practically channelled Jensen Ackles' Dean Winchester, turning in a uncanny performance. I adored finding out about a part of Dean's life we never even knew existed, and I adored watching Sam find out about that life too. Seeing how Dean's life could have turned out was sad...except then we saw him choose Sam, and suddenly the world was filled with rainbows and puppies! I cried buckets of tears and was filled to the brim with bubbles of love. It was a truly wonderful episode, written by Adam Glass.

Now, Adam is back taking another stab at young Dean. Once again, Dylan Everett will step into the role of the elder Winchester...except this time, the elder Winchester is the younger Winchester and well...let's look at the synopsis!


ABOUT A BOY

DEAN IS TURNED INTO HIS 14 YEAR OLD SELF — Looking to get Dean out of the bunker, Sam finds a case for him and Dean to investigate – people are disappearing into thin air with only their clothes left behind. Sam and Dean suspect fairies or angels, but the truth turns out to be much more shocking – Hansel (guest star Mark Acheson), from Hansel and Gretel lore, is kidnapping people and turning them into their younger selves to placate the evil witch (guest star Lesley Nicol). Unfortunately, Dean finds this information out the hard way after he becomes Hansel’s next victim and reverts to his 14 year old self. Serge Ladouceur directed this episode written by Adam Glass (#1011). 


The whole idea just makes me giddy! And like I said, I was wondering how it would play out because the synopsis doesn't make it clear as to whether Dean is actually 14 or just has the appearance of 14...but I think the promo answers that question!


"Hi ya Sammy" He woke up looking like Bieber! Bahaha! Oh gosh, I really want to see Dean struggling with being junior Dean and Sam having to deal with the whole thing. It looks like a tonne of fun.

Of course this does mean we will get less Jensen Ackles...because obviously...young Dean. But that's cool.  I can't wait to see this side of Dean, maybe find out just a little bit more about my favourite character in the history of forever (and also Jensen probably had a nice few days off and I'll never begrudge him that.)


We do get to see grow'd up Dean though...


Of course the boys don't believe in aliens. About the only thing they don't believe in! Faeries, sure! Aliens, nup! That's obviously too ridiculous to consider!


Now here's the thing I've been pondering, if Dean becomes 14 year old Dean, does that mean for the time he's his younger self, he doesn't have the Mark of Cain? Because if he's reverting to his 14 year old self, surely that would mean the Mark of Cain would vanish for that period of time, because his 14 year old self didn't have it. And if that's the case, Dean will actually experience not having the Mark for a while. Oh my gosh! Of course he will have raging hormones and acne...which might actually be worse! Okay, maybe not worse...but I wonder what's going to happen surrounding the Mark if it does disappear while Dean's 14? It's the central storyline for the brothers, so there must be some impact if it is gone briefly, giving Dean a break from the overwhelming sensations that it's creating inside him, or if it's still there and Dean's having to deal with that and the emotional upheaval of being a teenage boy! Gah! But I do feel like it won't be present while he's 14...what do you think?

Either way, I really can't wait for this episode. It's going to be fun seeing Sam and young Dean working the case together and it's going to be interesting to see their conversations and what, if anything, this predicament of Dean's brings up. 


I'm also looking for forward to seeing Dylan again, because I thought he did a bang up job of portraying junior Dean.


I feel like there may be some fun to be had in this episode (which we could all do with right about now), but I'm sure, as with all of Adam Glass' episodes, it will be laden with feels and be much deeper than we expect it to be. And of course, it's going to be gorgeous to look at, because Director of Photography, Serge Ladouceur is in the Director's chair for this one.


So yep...I'm excited! Oh what am I talking about! I'm excited to see all Supernatural episodes! It's been a pretty heavy emotional time recently though, so some lightness might do us all good. But I hope the situation gives the brothers another opportunity to connect, because the way they're connecting this season is my favourite thing ever.


What do you think? Are you excited to see how this all plays out?

Let me know in the comments!
-sweetondean

2 comments:

  1. I'm really looking forward to this episode. Bad Boys was one of my favourites last season, and I can't wait to see Sam dealing with young Dean. He's already had the experience of older Dean in The Curious Case of Dean Winchester, so this is very cool.

    I love the sneak peek and the way Sam gives him the thumbs up as they hastily retreat. Flowery flowers, lol.

    Sorry I haven't been commenting on your reviews lately... been totally snowed under with work :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. About a Boy was SOOOOOOO awesome! Might be one of my favorites ever! Can't wait to hear your take on it!

    ReplyDelete